The Town of Pelham’s Facebook page is the place to be for residents in Pelham on Canada Day.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, annual public Canada Day celebrations such as the parade and fireworks show are cancelled. Town staff, instead, are preparing to deliver a crowd-pleasing virtual experience that includes:
- Yoga and Zumba
- Mad Science and TikTok dance party
- Trivia and Fun Facts
- Performances from Pelham talent By Design and Copper & Iron
Pelham is also joining in Canada Day the Niagara Way: Communities from across the Niagara Region are coming together for a Canada Day first – Canada Day, the Niagara Way. Residents are encouraged to join the 12 municipalities of Niagara, the Niagara Parks Commission, and the Niagara Region for online activities and festivities for Canada Day beginning at 11 a.m.
“Our Canada Day festivities are different this year, no question about it,” said Mayor Marvin Junkin. “But even though we can’t celebrate along Haist Street with friends and neighbors for our wonderful parade, or gather at Harold Black Park to watch the fireworks, Town staff have worked tremendously hard to deliver the best virtual Canada Day celebration they can. Those that participate will not be disappointed.”
Leading up to Canada Day, residents can visit the Pelham website for links to activities and information being offered from coast to coast to coast.
In late June, free décor kits were delivered (contactless delivery) to residents who signed up to receive them before the limited quantities ran out. A second set of décor kits were released and went just as quickly.
Other activities this year include:
- House decorating contest – Back for another year with a new twist. Pelham’s house decorating contest is open to all homes in Pelham. Upload an image of your decorated home for a chance to win one of 20 prizes. This year, all entries will be entered in the draw.
- Bike decorating contest – Calling all kids, it’s a virtual bike decorating contest. Show your Canadian pride and decorate your bike to win one of four prize packs. Snap a picture and have a parent or guardian upload it to enter. All entries will be included in the draw to win.
- Virtual 5K: Join in the Canada Day virtual 5k with the #PelhamUNITES team. Lace-up your runners and run or walk a 5k in support of St. Johns Ambulance services.
Pelham’s Canada Day virtual event is funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage’s Celebrate Canada program.
To learn more, or to participate in the Canada Day virtual celebrations, visit www.pelham.ca/canada-day