The market has been at this location since 1907. The designated building on this lot was designed by Norman Kearns in 1919. It is influenced by the North American “Western Style”. It has elements from Spanish and Prairie Styles.
This lot was also the location of Central Public School. The school opened in 1901 with eight classrooms and was later expanded to 14 classrooms. The school was demolished in 1968.