Welland Moving Ahead With $15 Million Transit Operations Facility
The City of Welland has received approval for federal-provincial funding to move forward with the construction of a new Transit Operations Facility. This follows a major transit announcement made yesterday in Niagara with federal, provincial, municipal, and regional officials. This $15 million capital project will replace the existing facility built in 1972 and is located at 75 Federal Road in Welland. It will be built on the current Welland Transit site, which is adjacent to Public Works, which provides synergies between the two departments.
The City is receiving the funding from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) that has the federal and provincial governments providing 74% of the funding and the municipality providing the remaining 26%. When completed, the facility will be approximately 50,000 sq. ft. in size and feature; a maintenance garage, fleet storage area, a fueling island, staff locker rooms, a training room, as well as administrative offices.
Welland Transit Manager, Dave Stuart stated; “This new facility will include the latest technologies and infrastructure to more efficiently and safely maintain the fleet, and provide enhanced training sessions for our staff, which is of benefit to our municipal, as well as regional customers.”
“Welland City Council continues to support and invest in the replacement and renewal of our infrastructure and our municipal facilities for the benefit of our residents and as we prepare for strong population growth over the next 20 years,” said Welland Mayor Frank Campion. “This new Transit Operations Facility will replace our aging facility, support the growing needs of Welland Transit as we enhance service levels while being sensitive to the new COVID-19 realities, and it will serve as a regional hub for Niagara South and a feeder system for GO Transit in the future.”
A project team comprised of key City staff has been established to oversee the design build process. An RFP is being finalized and will be issued in early July.
For more information about Welland Transit, visit www.welland.ca/transit.