On Saturday, Dec. 26, at 12:01 a.m., Niagara will move to the grey lockdown level for 28 days under the provincial government’s COVID-19 Response Framework: Keeping Ontario Safe and Open. Under the provincial mandate, a lockdown implements wide-scale actions and restrictions, including closures, to stop or slow the spread of COVID-19.
While Niagara is under a lockdown, it is illegal for people to gather indoors with anyone they do not live with.
The following city services and programming changes will be mandated while Niagara is in lockdown status:
Welland Arenas (501 King St.): The Welland Arenas will be closed for the lockdown, starting Dec. 26. Staff anticipate the arenas will re-open Jan. 23, 2021. Further information in regards to reopening will be communicated on January 11.
Welland Community Wellness Complex (WCWC): The Welland Community Wellness Complex is now closed and will remain closed during the 28 day lockdown. Staff anticipate the WCWC will re-open for winter programs on Jan. 25, 2021. Further information in regards to reopening will be communicated on January 11. For the latest updates and information on program schedules and COVID-19 facility procedures, visit wellness.welland.ca.
Welland Farmers’ Market (Market Square, 70 Young St.): The Farmers’ Market will continue operations through the lockdown and will continue implementing guidelines as advised by Public Health, including strict social distancing and sanitization measures for vendors and patrons.
Upcoming Farmers’ Market schedule:
- Christmas Farmers’ Market Dec. 23, 2020
- No Farmers’ Market Dec. 26, due to Boxing Day
- Regular Saturday Farmers’ Market resumes Jan. 2, 2021
Youngs Sportsplex located at 570 River Rd. is closed beginning Sat. Dec. 26 for the 28-day lockdown
City of Welland Skating Rinks: Welland Civic Square Rink will not open this 2020/21 winter season. All other outdoor rinks in the community will be operational. Physical distancing must be practiced.
Marriage Services are cancelled and will be rescheduled in January.
Cemetery and Burial Services: Pre-purchase of grave sales are suspended at this time but will continue on an as needed basis. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 10 people.
Water service and water meter services
- Water meter installations for new home construction will continue by appointment only, subject to COVID-19 screening and building permit
- Water quality complaints by appointment only and subject to COVID-19 screening and protocols
- Emergency water meter maintenance (water meter only) by appointment only subject to COVID-19 screening and protocols
- Exterior water meter general maintenance only
- Emergency repairs to the water service from watermain to the property line to be completed as required
- In-person water meter inspections for real estate transactions are cancelled. Vendors must call for remote inspection instructions, which includes submission of two photos of the existing water meter installation (top view and side view) and forward via email to email@example.com
Sanitary sewer lateral services-
Suspended until Further Notice:
- Sewer rodding of sanitary sewer laterals from inside the home
- CCTV inspections of sanitary sewer laterals from inside the home
- CCTV of sanitary sewer Laterals for the Sewage Water Alleviation Program
Emergency repair of the sanitary sewer lateral by city forces from mainline to the property line to be completed as required
To ensure physical distancing and safe work practices, residents or owners receiving emergency city services must first complete a COVID-19 questionnaire. If emergency work is required, the resident or owner must ensure the workspace is clear and safe. Public Works services are by appointment only. Appointments can be booked from Mon. to Fri., 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., at 905-735-1700 Extension 3000.