On April 20, 2021, Welland City Council will consider the appointment to fill the Ward 3 Vacancy by following the process council approved on April 13, 2021. Five (5) eligible Welland residents were nominated by members of council to fill the Ward 3 Vacancy:
- BELLINGHAM, Leslie
- DZUGAN, Mark
- LEE, Jamie
- MASTROIANNI, John
- THOMAS, Doug
Prior to the open portion of the April 20, 2021 Council meeting, members of council will be provided an opportunity to discuss confidential personal matters regarding the nominated candidates during an in-camera (closed to the public) meeting.
Following the in-camera (closed to the public) meeting, Welland City Council will consider the appointment in open session. The process is as follows:
- The names of the five (5) nominated candidates will be announced in alphabetical order by last name by the City Clerk.
- Each of the five (5) candidate’s names will be stated individually and a public vote will be taken and the number of votes will be recorded and verbally announced by the City Clerk.
- Members of council will indicate by public vote during each round which name they are recommending for the appointment motion.
- Following the completion of step 2, if there is a candidate that receives majority vote based on the members of council in attendance at the meeting, the discussion is concluded and that individual will be added to the appointment motion.
- If one candidate does not receive majority vote based on the members of council in attendance at the meeting, the candidate or candidates with the fewest number of votes shall be excluded from consideration.
- The vote will be taken again by the City Clerk, and if necessary more than once, excluding in each successive vote the candidate or candidates who receive the fewest number of votes. This shall be repeated until a candidate receives the majority vote based on the members of council in attendance at the meeting.
- With the potential of a tie between candidates, council may choose to proceed in one of the following ways:
- Discuss the matter at a Special Council meeting, which would be scheduled for Tuesday, April 27, 2021.
- Council can call a by-election to fill the Ward 3 Vacancy.