Virtual Downtown Tour: Main Street Bridge/Bridge 13
The current bridge was opened to traffic on April 22, 1930. It stands 231 feet high with a road width of 30 feet. It rose to 170 feet with a clearance of 120 feet. It last rose on December 16, 1972.
Before this bridge, the Alexandra Bridge which was built in 1904 and moved in 1927 to make way for the present Bridge 13. The Alexandra Bridge was a swing bridge built to turn on central piers in the relatively narrow navigational channel.
The first canal opened in 1829 and was made of wooden locks. It was 8 feet deep and 22 feet wide. The second canal was completed in 1854 and the locks were made of stone (longer lasting than wood). The third canal was completed in 1887. The fourth canal, the one that runs through Welland, was started in 1913, and due to delays of the war, was completed in 1932. The locks are now 27 feet deep and 80 feet wide. The by-pass was started in 1967, completed in 1972, and opened in 1973.