This Church was constructed in 1877 when it was decided that the original building was too small for the congregation and too far from the center of town. Holy Trinity’s congregation has existed since 1857, making it the oldest active church in Welland.
It was designed by J. Dinigan in the Gothic revival style. It has a castle like tower, high pitched roof and pointed arched windows (the window element was carried through the additions, which provides a cohesive sight line).
This Church also has two very interesting pieces of history. There is a sister church, Crowland Abbey, in Lincolnshire, England and in 1948 a piece of stone was brought over in thanks for food parcels that the women of Holy Trinity sent during World War II. This stone was placed in the nave. Also, the tower has a piece of the altar of St Paul’s Cathedral in London, England which had been bombed during WWII. Again, given in thanks to the congregation for their help.