We use a lot of energy in our homes on a regular basis and our ever-increasing hydro bills always seem to remind us to be more energy efficient. If you are ready to take some steps to save energy, keep reading for tips to save energy, and therefore your money!
HEATING & COOLING
- Be patient with your thermostat – cranking the temperature higher does not heat or cool your home any faster and actually wastes more energy.
- Invest in a “smart” thermostat that can learn your heating and cooling patterns and adjusts the temperature accordingly.
- Make sure your air conditioning unit is the right size for your home and that it’s installed correctly.
DON’T WASTE WATER
- Try to take shorter showers or take showers instead of baths.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth, shaving and washing hands.
- Fix that leaky faucet!
- Use less hot water if you can.
- Turn down your water heater’s thermostat or insulate it to save on water heating costs.
- ONLY wash full loads of laundry to help save water.
- Use cold water for your washes as much as possible.
- Hang your clothes to dry outside on a nice day.
- Use natural light as much as you can and turn off lights not being used.
- Using lamps instead of overhead lighting will help with energy efficiency as well.
- Get a motion sensor for your exterior lights to motion senor lighting.
- Switch your light bulbs to LED, halogen incandescent or compact fluorescent (CFLs).
ELECTRONICS & APPLIANCES
- Using sleep modes on your computers, TVs and other devices and turn them off altogether when not being used.
- If you use laptops most often, ditch the desktop computer!
- Avoid putting hot food in the fridge because it can raise the temperature, making the fridge work harder to keep the food inside cool.
- Reduce clutter in the fridge and freezer so air can circulate properly.
- Scrape the dishes before loading them in the dishwasher before putting them in.
- Use a microwave or toaster-oven to cook or reheat meals instead of the oven or stove. This is especially helpful in the summer to reduce air conditioning costs.
- Update your appliances to energy-efficient models.
There are very easy energy saving tips you can start incorporating into your daily life. Not only are you saving yourself some money, but the environment will thank you too.