Choose kindness, always.
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
The Shine Light, Spread Kindness Campaign is a one-week initiative from April 19-25, dedicated to promoting a culture of kindness in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Have you ever noticed how kindness has a ripple effect? Spreading kindness encourages random and intentional acts of kindness throughout all aspects of the community. Now, and arguably more than ever, kindness matters.
We are inviting community members to commit to shining light and spreading kindness every day this week; and by doing so, working together to ignite light and joy in our community. One flame provides some light to a dark room but light multiple candles at once and a dark room is transformed to light.
Do you feel like the world is kind of dark right now? You are not alone. There is a lot going on and many in our community are feeling completely and utterly burnt out. Let’s rally together to SHINE LIGHT and SPREAD KINDNESS. Remember, a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. So spread your kindness freely – it may spark the light in someone else.
Monday, April 19 – KINDNESS THROUGH WORDS
- Send a kind text.
- Post something positive on social media.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Say “thank you” for an action/service you take for granted.
Tuesday, April 20 – KINDNESS THROUGH CREATIVITY
- Make and display a Kindness Sign in your front window or lawn. (Challenge your neighbours to do the same.)
- Create kindness messages on sidewalks and driveways using chalk.
- Write a poem about kindness and share it online.
- Find and listen to a song that supports the message of kindness.
Wednesday, April 21 – KINDNESS THROUGH GIVING
- Donate to a cause that is important to you.
- Pay for the order of the vehicle behind you in line.
- Gather your gently used items and set them aside to donate.
- Have dinner delivered to a loved one you know is struggling.
Thursday, April 22 – KINDNESS THROUGH STEWARDSHIP
- Order a reusable coffee mug and/or water bottle.
- Plant a garden.
- Conserve water.
- Avoid travel by vehicle.
Visit notl.com/earthday for more information.
Friday, April 23 – KINDNESS THROUGH ACTION
- Call a loved one and ask them how they are doing.
- Support a local business and leave then a positive online review
- Smile (up through your eyes and above your mask) and say hello (from a safe distance) to someone you pass by.
- Let the other driver merge into traffic with a wave and a smile.
Saturday, April 24 – KINDNESS THROUGH SELF-CARE
- Eat a healthy snack.
- Go for a walk.
- Spend time meditating.
- Complete a task you’ve been putting off.
Sunday, April 25 – KINDNESS THROUGH THOUGHT
- Replace a negative thought with a positive one.
- Write a list of things you are grateful for.
- Reflect on your day and find the good.
- Reflect on the kind of person you want to be. Could you be kinder?
All Week Long – KINDNESS THROUGH APPRECIATION
**Volunteer Week**This week is also volunteer week and we want to highlight the many good and kind deeds happening in our community. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a community full of kind, thoughtful, compassionate, and generous people who are willing to go above and beyond to serve their fellow community members. These are the people who shine their light brightly for all to see! Know someone like this? We would love to hear about them! Enter them in our Volunteer Appreciation Week – Star Volunteer Recognition initiative by completing a quick online form. All Star Volunteers will be celebrated and acknowledged on the Town’s social media pages on Friday, April 23.
KINDNESS FOR KIDS!
“Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.”
Kids can participate too! Parents/guardians are invited to print off the activity sheet below and encourage their child(ren) to participate with them in Niagara-on-the-Lake’s Shine Light, Spread Kindness Campaign. Why not make it a family affair!
HELP SPREAD THE MESSAGE OF KINDNESS!
We are encouraging community members, businesses, and churches to come together and participate in Niagara-on-the-Lake’s Shine Light, Spread Kindness Campaign. In order to create a consistent, positive message throughout our community, we are asking our business community and churches to display kindness messages on their digital billboards or lawn signs.
Examples: “Shine Light, Spread Kindness”, “Kindness Matters”, “Be Kind Always”, “Choose Kindness”, “Spread Kindness”, etc.
These messages will serve as a great visual reminder to our community and assist in spreading light, positivity, and joy throughout our Town streets!
SHOW US YOUR KINDNESS
Let us know if you are sharing this message! Snap a picture or share a message via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture on social media, tagging the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake and using the hashtags #NOTLShinesLight and #NOTLSpreadsKindness, and show us how you and your family are shining your lights and spreading kindness to those around you! We would love to hear your feedback and stories!
Thank you for participating!
“How wonderful to think that no one need wait a moment before starting to improve the world.”
– Anne Frank