Welland Museum Vanished Landmarks Virtual Tour – Day 1: Vaughn Seed Company
The Vaughan Seed Company was located at 111 Victoria Street. It was a two storey structure that was constructed in 1909. The Vaughn Seed Company was a large part of Welland’s agricultural history. This building was operated by Marshall “Mark” Vaughan, of Elcho, as a branch of his family’s seed business until 1959 when he died. It continued to operate as a seed company under different owners until 1999.
The Vaughan Seed Company is remembered as a company that provided high quality seed for farmers and gardeners in the Welland area specializing in Kentucky blue grass. The company also developed its own type of seeds. The Niagara Parks Commission frequently used Victoria Park Lawn Seed that was developed by Vaughn Seed.
Like most other community business owners, Vaughan entered into municipal politics; he was an Alderman and served as Reeve in 1915-1916. In 1918, he became the first Mayor of the new City of Welland and remained in politics for 12 years as an elected Member of Provincial Parliament for Welland.
This building was designated in 2002, however due to a fire in 2008 it is now just a memory.
View full series of Welland Museum Virtual Tours at this link.