In 2010, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care announced the development of 30 new family health teams across Ontario. In partnership with the City of Welland and McMaster University’s School of Medicine, the Welland McMaster Family Health Team was developed to provide an all-access range of services to the residents of Welland, Pelham, and Port Colborne. Some of the interdisciplinary healthcare professionals include: Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, and a Mental Health Nurse; an Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist, a Psychiatrist, and a Registered Dietician. The team also features: a Health Educator, Social Workers, a Registered Dietician, Physiatrist, and Chiropodist. In addition to meeting the health needs of residents, the staff at Welland McMaster Family Health support our community with their involvement in the Raising the Roof campaign in support of mental health, annual food drives for the Welland Hope Centre, Port Cares, and Pelham Cares, as well as supporting Family and Children’s Services of Niagara.
Significant business details
- 2014: All Welland McMaster Family Health Team services move into a new state-of-the-art medical centre on Prince Charles Drive.
- 2016: The South Niagara Chamber of Commerce Ruby Award is received for excellence in service.
“Doing business in Welland means not just going to work every day to provide a service, but also being an active member in the community and giving back to the city and its residents in any way we can.”
~ Jim Borysko, executive director
- Primary healthcare organization providing services and programs from family physicians and interdisciplinary healthcare professionals.
- As a teaching organization affiliated with McMaster University’s School of Medicine, the Welland McMaster Family Health Team began offering services in January 2011.
- The Welland McMaster Family Health Team has 13 employees and 11 affiliated physicians who support approximately 17,000 rostered patients and provide community programs and services.
- Mental health
- Memory clinic
- Preventative health
- Smoking cessation
- Chronic pain management
- Bone health