– 4 slices sourdough bread (approx. 4 cups), cubed
– 1 lb. asparagus, ends removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
– 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
– 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise in 1 ½ inch pieces
– ½ red onion, thinly sliced
– ¾ cup goat cheese (or feta), crumbled
– 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and chopped
– 1 medium shallot, chopped
– ¼ cup champagne vinegar (can substitute white wine vinegar)
– 2 tbsp. honey
– ½ tsp salt
– ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper, or to taste
– 2/3 cup grapeseed oil
– 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Toss bread cubes with drizzle of olive oil. Spread the bread pieces on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crisp.
3) Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until tender; approximately 3 minutes. Drain, and submerge in cold water.
4) Make the vinaigrette – In a blender or food processor add the strawberries, shallots, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper mix until combined. With the blender/food processor running, slowly add the oil in until the dressing is emulsified (comes together). Stir in the poppy seeds.
5) In large bowl, combine strawberries, cucumber, and red onion. Drain asparagus, and add to bowl. Drizzle with strawberry vinaigrette and toss to coat salad.
7) Add toasted bread and gently stir into salad to combine. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
Allow salad to sit for 15-20 minutes before serving; this allows the bread to slightly absorb the dressing and flavours to combine.
8) Serve alongside your choice of grilled protein.