- This event has passed.
LIVEstream.LOVE.JAZZ Series #43 with Jay Reed and John Stowell Duo
October 23 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
DATE: Friday, October 23, 2020 TIME: 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm EDT VENUE: 'LIVEstream.LOVE.JAZZ.Series' (This event will be Livestreamed) PRICE: FREE (Donations accepted)
* Please note that donations accepted to help the TD Niagara Jazz Festival (Registered Charity: #80107-7033-RR0001) continue to bring live music to Niagara and beyond. Thank you for supporting the arts!
To donate and help support the festival:
ABOUT JAY REED:
Jay Reed’s 30-year journey as a guitarist has been influenced by a diverse range of music styles – from the classic rock sounds of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, to the technical brilliance and infectious swing of Oscar Peterson, and the more modern sounds of John Scofield and Wayne Krantz – all of these and more find their way into Reed’s list of influences.
At Mohawk College in Hamilton, Canada, Reed studied jazz theory and history, small group and big band arranging, and received ensemble and private guitar instruction with some of the best jazz musicians in the country. Upon receiving his diploma, he began performing as both a leader and sideman in and around the Toronto area. Reed has played more than a thousand gigs in his over twenty-year professional career, and has presented original music at the Brantford International Jazz Festival, the TD Niagara Jazz Festival, Willowbank Jazz Festival and In The Soil Arts Festival, among others.
Visit Jay online: www.jayreedmusic.com
ABOUT JOHN STOWELL:
John Stowell began his successful career in the early 1970’s with private study with guitarist Linc Chamberland and pianist John Mehegan. Both men were valuable mentors to John, allowing him to play with them as he progressed in his development. Several years later he met bassist David Friesen in New York City, and they formed a duo that recorded and toured prolifically for seven years, with performances in the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia.
In 1983, John and David joined flutist Paul Horn and Paul’s son Robin Horn (on drums) for a historic tour of the Soviet Union. This was the first time in forty years that an American jazz group had been invited to play public performances in Russia. In 1993, 1995, 1998 and 2012 John returned to Russia, playing in numerous cities. His two sold-out performances in Kursk may have been the first appearances there by an American jazz musician.
John continues to tour, record and teach internationally. He has been Artist-In-Residence at schools in Germany, Indonesia, Argentina, and in the United States and Canada. He served as assistant director and performer in Oregon Public Broadcasting’s PDX Jazz Summit in 1991, and since 1995 has been a contributing columnist for a number of magazines, including “Downbeat”, “Guitar Player”, “Canadian Musician”, “Soundcheck” (Germany), and “Guitar Club” (Italy).
John Stowell’s accomplishments include:
- With bassist David Friesen, featured of the soundtracks of two Academy Award Nominated short films (Will Vinton Studios, Portland, OR, and Bosustow Studios, Los Angeles, CA)
- “Through the Listening Glass” with David Friesen chosen of the “Ten Best Jazz Albums of the Decade” by the Los Angeles Examiner
- Chosen “Talent Deserving Wider Recognition” by Downbeat’s International Critic’s Poll, 1978 and 1979
- Featured in Japan’s “Swing Journal”, “The Jazz Guitar” (Ashely Mark Publishing, England), and the Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz (Leonard Feather and Ira Gitler).
- Appearances on BET Jazz Discovery and Guitar Series television shows
- Recording/Performance Credits: Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton, Art Farmer, Conte Condoli, Herb Ellis, Bill Watrous, Mundell Lowe, George Cables, Billy Higgins, Billy Hart, Richie Cole, Paul Horn, Tom Harrrell, Don Thompson, Dave Liebman, and many others
Visit John online: http://www.johnstowell.com
ABOUT THE “LIVEStream.LOVE.JAZZ.Series”
“We love organically grown events and this series is a prime example of that. In January of 2019, we started a series called “IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD” when local jazz pianist Doug Mundy asked us if we could store his Steinway grand piano at our Shady Acres Studio. We knew how our jazz fans LOVE the intimate concerts so we thought why not do one ‘In our own back yard’.
The first 4-part piano series was a huge success so we then decided to add another 4 shows and then another 2! 10 shows in total for 2019 and when the piano was removed we decided to continue with a guitar series. Part 4 of the guitar series came during the COVID-19 pandemic so we decided to adapt to the times. Our NEW live-streamed events are now in YOUR own backyard. ‘From our back yard to yours’
To align with our tag line: LIVE LOVE JAZZ and the current situation, we have re-branded our series to be called the “LIVEStream.LOVE.JAZZ.Series”.
We do look forward to having our guests gather in our backyard again soon (when it is safe to do so) but until then we are thrilled to be able to live-stream our events and to keep the music alive in Niagara and beyond”
Juliet Dunn and Peter Shea (Co-creators: Twilight Jazz Series and TD Niagara Jazz Festival)
Find us online : www.NiagaraJazzFestival.com
Call us at: 1-844-LIV-JAZZ (1-844-548-5299)