Farmers’ Market is looking forward to seeing you this Saturday!
We did it! The first “physically distancing” Farmers’ Market is complete, and we had a fantastic turnout of local support. The weather was ideal, with just a very brief sprinkling or rain, but otherwise warm and partially sunny. All-in-all, we were very pleased with how smoothly the very different set up went this past Saturday. We did learn a few things, and will be making some minor changes, but the feedback from our vendors and customers has been very positive. We do want to remind shoppers that we are asking that only one member per household enter the shopping area (with the exception of single parents with children or seniors requiring assistance) Couples are welcome to line up together while waiting to enter the shopping area.
This coming Saturday, shoppers will be able to purchase vegetable plants for your garden, fresh rhubarb, asparagus, early greens, herbs, microgreens, jams, jellies, cheese, bread, farm fresh eggs, baked goods, honey, both frozen and dehydrated soups, frozen entrees, and more. As the weeks go on, we will have more farmers joining the line up as more of their produce ripens. With not being able to have onsite food preparation right now, I am sure that many of you are missing your Saturday morning “egg thingy” from the dream team of Liam and James at Sweets & Swirls. Fear not! The prepared, prepackaged breakfast item is available for you to take home and warm in the microwave (or if you are like me, and don’t own a microwave, heat for a few minutes in a skillet with a lid on it) I enjoyed one this past Saturday when I got home; thanks S&S!
A shout out to Limited Distillery in Virgil for supplying the Market with hand sanitizer for our shoppers. Another great local business for us all to support!
Looking forward to seeing everyone come out to access local “food less touched”, support our local farmers and small businesses, and bring home nutritious and delicious foods to share with your family. The Market is located at 111 Garrison Village Drive in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and we will be open 8am to 1pm this Saturday May 30th.
Meet you @ The Market!
WEEK #2 – VENDORS FOR SATURDAY MAY 30th
Raw Tibicos Fizz Kitchen will have: Growlers of Kefir, dehydrated soups, side dish mixes (buckwheat & socca) candied ginger & vegan walnut brittle
Cheese Secrets will have: premade 2-4 person cheese & cracker platters, “Cheese to Go for One”, packaged artisinal cheeses, boxes of artisinal crackers, butter, farm fresh eggs, & kale
Bartel Organics will have: vegetable plants, asparagus, rhubarb,& early greens
Gryphon Ridge Highland Farm will have: In addition to her normal wide selection of gourmet jams, jellies, marmalades & chutneys, Kim is debuting her Gryphon Ridge Chutney! It’s called this because she’s too lazy to write Strawberries, Rhubarb , Fennel, Onion, Red Wine Vinegar, Apple Juice, Cinnamon, Ginger and Cloves on the label ! It’s sweet and savoury , wonderful on grilled meats especially pork and chicken, it’s delicious served hot or cold ! Try it on a cheese or charcuterie plate or samosas or as a garnish for curry!
D’s Greens Company will have: Microgreens (sunflower, pea shoot, radish, garlic, living bean sprout & custom microgreen blends) and looseleaf teas (red shisho, shisho britton, and shisho blend)
Sweets & Swirls Cafe will have: “Bringin’ Home the Brunch”- take brunch home with you! Also avaialble are Quiche ‘leekraine’ & caprese quiche, lemon meringue & blueberry pies, Buttertarts, orange & white scones, carrot lentil and spring pea & mint soup
Small Scale Farm will have: eggs, bread, & honey, fruit turnovers, strawberry rhubarb & apple pie, and butter tarts.
Klassen Family Farm will have: early greens, asparagus, rhubarb, jam, & grape juice
Moksha Indian Bistro will have: frozen entrees (chicken vindaloo, vegetable korma, channa masala, lamb biryani) mango-mint kulfi & pina colada kulfi (Indian ice cream) masala tea spice mix, tandoori spice mix, and bottled makhani gravy & tikka masala gravy
Marynissen Estates Winery will have: 2019 Heritage Collection Charmed, which is a delightful newly released sparkling wine, 2019 Rose, and 2017 Cabernet Merlot
Niagara on the Lake Farmers’ Market Customer Guidelines
For the safety of our customers, vendors and staff, the following guidelines have been established:
- Self-assessment for COVID-19 exposure and symptoms prior to entering Market area
- Admittance of only one person per household at a time; pairs or groups are asked to have only one individual enter the Market
- No more than 1 customer per vendor booth set up will be admitted to the Market shopping area at any given time (i.e. 10 vendors = 10 customers, etc)
- Customers are required to sanitize their hands before entry to the Market area
- No handling, consuming, or sampling of food will be permitted; vendors may set up a display table to showcase their products, but items for sale will be stored behind the table for completion of customer orders
- Cash will be accepted by all vendors, but where possible, cashless sales are encouraged
- There will be no communal seating areas
- Customers are asked to maintain a safe physical separation of six feet from other shoppers, including in the entry line
- Traffic-flow lines will be clearly marked in the Market area
- Customers may use reusable bags, but must bag their own purchases
- There will be no washroom facilities for customers
- ATM will be set up onsite for customer use